Building and Plumbing Application Information

The new Building Act and TasWater

The Building Act 2016 takes a risk-based approach to building approval.

Building work
Risk Category Examples Approval process Who can do the work
Low risk work


  • Fences
  • Low decks
  • Farm sheds
  • Carports


  • No permit or approval for performing building work

  • May require planning approval
  • Most work can be carried out by an owner.

  • Some larger projects can be carried out only by a licensed builder without a building permit.
  • Medium Risk Work (Notifiable work)

  • A detached house or unit that does not need planning approval

  • Residential alterations or extensions
  • An application (Notice of Work) made to a building surveyor, for a Certificate of Likely Compliance
  • Can be carried out by a licensed builder with regulatory oversight by a building surveyor.

  • Council will need to be notified that the work is taking place but doesn't need to give approval.
  • High Risk Work (Permit work)
  • Commercial, industrial or public buildings, residential buildings that need a planning permit

  • Owner builder work

  • Most works in Hazardous areas
  • An application to council for a Building Permit
  • Will still need to go through a full building approval process with the council.

  • Certificate of Water and Sewerage Compliance (Building) and/or (Plumbing)
    Under the Water and Sewerage Act 2008, the owner of a building or land may, after the completion of certifiable work in relation to the building or land, apply to TasWater for the issue of a Certificate of Water and Sewerage Compliance (Building) and/or (Plumbing) specifying that the conditions of the Certificate for Certifiable Work (Building) and/or (Plumbing) have been complied with and that the work has been completed substantially in accordance with the information or documents submitted. The Permit Authority (Council) cannot request the Certificate of Water and Sewerage Compliance without written consent from the owner/applicant.

    You will need to apply for a Certificate(s) of Compliance and an application form for a Certificate of Water and Sewerage Compliance (Building) and/or (Plumbing) is to be submitted.

    It is important that all the relevant conditions from a CCW have been completed prior to your application for a Certificate of Water and Sewerage Compliance (Building) and/or (Plumbing). If works have not been completed in accordance with a CCW, you may be issued a Certificate of Water and Sewerage Compliance (Building) and/or (Plumbing) refusal and further fees may be required in order to re-inspect and assess any subsequent applications. 


    Trade Waste
    Developers applying for a Certificate for Certifiable Works (Building) and/or (Plumbing) should be aware of TasWater’s trade waste requirements.  These apply where the proposed development will result in a tenant, owner or occupier discharging sewage considered to be trade waste to sewer.

    The occupier of a property must make a trade waste application where the activity results in the generation of sewage from trade, industrial, commercial, institutional, medical, dental, veterinary, agricultural, horticultural or scientific research or experimental activities (or similar). Where the business occupier is not known the developer should be aware that trade waste requirements for tenants may include the installation of appropriate trade waste pre-treatment prior to the business operating.

    Trade waste is not to be discharged to TasWater’s sewerage system without prior written consent of TasWater. Consent will be provided where the discharge to sewer aligns with TasWater’s stated aims and objectives in managing liquid trade waste and appropriate pre-treatment infrastructure is in place.

    Further information on trade waste including guidelines, technical drawings, and forms can be found here.

    House construction TasWater’s CCW Guideline
    In conjunction with the Building Act 2016 we have developed a new Guideline for Certificates for Certifiable Work (CCWs) which will assist streamlining TasWater’s role in the new approvals framework.  The Guideline has the major focus of ensuring:
    • Developments that clearly have no impact on TasWater’s infrastructure or operations immediately proceed to building and plumbing permit or straight to building stage (our consent is not required); and
    • Applications that do require our consent/approval (i.e. by a CCW), contain all the required information (both documents and details on plans) to enable full assessment.

    For a copy of the guideline refer here.


    What are certifiable works?
    The Guideline links the new approvals framework in the Building Act 2016 to the definition of certifiable work in the Water and Sewerage Industry Act 2008.  S.56TA of the Water and Sewerage Industry Act 2008 defines certifiable work, for building work or plumbing work, and in summary requires a CCW for any work that impacts on TasWater.

    In accordance with “certifiable works” definition, the following works are NOT Certifiable Works by virtue that ALL of the following are satisfied:

    • The works will not increase the demand for water supplied by TasWater
    • The works will not increase or decrease the amount of sewage or toxins that is to be removed by, or discharged into, TasWater’s sewerage infrastructure
    • The works will not require a new connection, or a modification to an existing connection, to be made to TasWater’s infrastructure
    • The works will not damage or interfere with TasWater’s works
    • The works will not adversely affect  TasWater’s operations
    • Are not within 2m of TasWater’s infrastructure and are outside any TasWater easement
    • The LISTMap has been checked to confirm the location of TasWater infrastructure
    • A water meter is in place, or has been applied for to TasWater, for the subject property

    If works are not certifiable works then a CCW is not required.


    Excluded works
    Further, works have been identified that fall within the definition of Certifiable Work under the Water and Sewerage Industry Act 2008 (the Act) that are of such low risk/complexity as to not require a Certificate for Certifiable Works (CCW), being:

    • New connections assessed via other processes (e.g. planning referrals or engineering design approvals); and
    • Demolition works where TasWater services are not impacted.


    Certificates for Certifiable Work
    TasWater must assess certifiable works, via an application for a Certificate for Certifiable Work. The fee for a CCW is dependent on the works complexity, the relevant fee can be found in PSP4 (FY2022), as approved by the Economic Regulator. If TasWater determines that there is no impact on its infrastructure or operations following a CCW application, you will be advised to either withdraw your application or (if required), an Exemption certificate will be issued for a fee as approved by the Economic Regulator. 

    An Exemption for CCW will relieve the Permit Authority for the need for subsequent Certificates of Compliance.

    TasWater has 14 calendar days for building and 10 calendar days for plumbing only to reply with any required conditions and advice. TasWater has 7 calendar days to request further information if required. Where further information is sought the ‘clock stops’ and the timeframe recommences when satisfactory additional information is received.

    Was this page useful?

    Rate this page

    • Rate as Yes21.05% Yes votes
    • Rate as No78.95% No votes

    Have your say