Moving house? What I need to know

Do I need to let you know if I sell my house or buy another property?

TasWater has an agreement with the Australian Institute of Conveyancers for the vendor’s conveyancer or solicitor to inform TasWater that you have sold the property.  Property owners do not need to notify TasWater of a sale in normal circumstances.

To issue the final statement, TasWater requires:

  • The property’s title information
  • The effective settlement date
  • The vendors’ future mailing address
  • The purchasers’ names and mailing address.
  • This information assists us to ensure the correct person is being charged for water and sewerage services.


What are the arrangements for tenants?

Water and sewerage charges are the responsibility of the property owner. People who rent their homes (tenants) will not receive a statement from TasWater. Statements are issued according to the details provided on the property title. While landlords can make appropriate arrangements with tenants to recover water usage charges only, they are still responsible for paying the quarterly statement. Property owners, tenants and property managers may request a special meter reading. These can be undertaken at any time upon the payment of the special meter read fee.


Will any of my details change if I already have an account with TasWater?

Yes, there will be some details that will change with your TasWater account when you are selling one property and purchasing a new property, or, if you are purchasing an additional property.

If you are selling a property and purchasing a new one your account number will change. The account number for the property you are selling will be closed and a new account set up under the person(s) name that is reflected on the title for that property.

If you are a concession card holder and currently have an active concession on your account you will need to provide that information to TasWater to be applied to your new account

It is also important to check your Bpay payment details and update them if needed as well as making sure any direct debits or payments that are set up for the old account are applied to the new account.

For the online concession form click here.
To set up a direct debit click here.

Moving house stock image

What happens to water restriction devices at the time of sale?

Where a restriction device is fitted because of the non-payment of an account, the vendor is responsible for any charges relating to its removal.  The fee for the removal of a water restrictor can be found under Fees and Charges.

If the property sale includes a commercial entity discharging trade waste, what do I do?

Information on trade waste can be found by clicking here, otherwise please phone TasWater on 13 6992 or email [email protected] for further information. 

Who apportions water and sewer charges at settlement?

There is no requirement or obligation for property managers, lawyers and/or conveyancers to apportion water and sewerage statements at the time of sale. TasWater requests that  lawyers and/or conveyancers acting for the vendor notify us after settlement, the vendor's future address and purchaser's address via the Change of ownership form. 

Accounts are finalised using an estimated meter read. A special meter read can be arranged upon request. Please refer to our website for fees and charges. Once finalised, depending on their circumstances, the vendor will receive a final bill or credit note. The purchaser will receive a statement for their portion of service charges from the date of settlement, this will include an Account Establishment Fee. To assist, enclosed with the first purchaser statement, is information regarding payment methods, concessions and an authorised representative form, along with your quarterly newsletter.

Was this page useful?

Rate this page

  • Rate as Yes41.38% Yes votes
  • Rate as No58.62% No votes
Have your say