Building & Plumbing

The new Building Act and TasWater

The Building Act 2016, effective 1 January 2017, takes a risk-based approach to building approval:
Low risk work – such as sheds and carports – can be carried out by a licensed builder without a building permit.
Medium risk work – such as a standard three bedroom house, which doesn't need planning permission – can be carried out by a licensed builder with regulatory oversight by a building surveyor.  The council and TasWater will be notified that the work is taking place but does not need to give approval.
High risk work – such as architect-designed houses or commercial, multi-storey buildings; or Works within two (2) metres of TasWater infrastructure – will still need to go through a full building approval process with the council.  

Determinations issued by the Director of Building Control detail of the type of work in each category. For more information on these determinations please refer to 

  of work
  Example of type of
  work within category
  Certificate for
  Certifiable Works
  (CCW) requirements  

  Assessment responsibility for Certificate for
  Certifiable Works (CCWs)

 Categories 1
 and 2 

 Low Risk
 Building Work                               
 Sheds and carports with no encroachment upon
 TasWater’s easements or infrastructure
 No CCW required  Assessment is performed by home owner or licensed builder.

 Category 3

 Medium Risk
 Building  Work

 Standard three bedroom houses not needing
 planning permission
 CCW may be required – refer TasWater Guideline
 (see below and the Determination of the
 Director of  Building Control (see link above)
 Assessment is performed by licensed building services provider in accordance with the Determination of the
 Director of Building Control.
 Works identified by a licensed building services provider as having a certifiable component and requiring
 a CCW (e.g. a new connection) are  referred to and assessed by TasWater.
 Category 4

 High Risk

 Building Work

 Architect-designed houses or commercial,
 multi-storey buildings; or Works within
 two (2) metres of TasWater’s infrastructure,
 or within a TasWater easement
 As per category 3
 As per category 3

TasWater’s CCW Guideline

In conjunction with the Building Act 2016 we have developed a new Guideline for Certificates for Certifiable Work (CCWs) which will assist streamlining TasWater’s role in the new approvals framework.  The Guideline has the major focus of ensuring:

·       Developments that clearly have no impact on TasWater’s infrastructure or operations immediately proceed to building and plumbing permit or straight to building stage (our consent is not required); and

·       Applications that do require our consent/approval (i.e. by a CCW), contain all the required information (both documents and details on plans) to enable full assessment.

For a copy of the guideline refer here.


What are certifiable works?

The Guideline links the new approvals framework in the Building Act 2016 to the definition of certifiable work in the Water and Sewerage Industry Act 2008.  S.56TA of the Water and Sewerage Industry Act 2008 defines certifiable work, for building work or plumbing work, and in summary requires a CCW for any work that impacts on TasWater.

In accordance with “certifiable works” definition, the following works are NOT Certifiable Works by virtue that ALL of the following are satisfied:

  • The works will not increase the demand for water supplied by TasWater
  • The works will not increase or decrease the amount of sewage or toxins that is to be removed by, or discharged into, TasWater’s sewerage infrastructure
  • The works will not require a new connection, or a modification to an existing connection, to be made to TasWater’s infrastructure
  • The works will not damage or interfere with TasWater’s works
  • The works will not adversely affect  TasWater’s operations
  • Are not within 2m of TasWater’s infrastructure and are outside any TasWater easement
  • The LISTMap has been checked to confirm the location of TasWater infrastructure
  • A water meter is in place, or has been applied for to TasWater, for the subject property


If works are not certifiable works then a CCW is not required.


Excluded works

Further, works have been identified that fall within the definition of Certifiable Work under the Water and Sewerage Industry Act 2008 (the Act) that are of such low risk/complexity as to not require a Certificate for Certifiable Works (CCW), being:

  • new connections assessed via other processes (e.g. planning referrals or engineering design approvals); and
  • demolition works where TasWater services are not impacted.


The Act provides for these works to be identified in an Excluded Works Policy, a draft of which is available here. 

Certificates for Certifiable Work

Certifiable works must be assessed by TasWater, via an application for a Certificate for Certifiable Work. If TasWater determines that there is no impact on its infrastructure or operations, then an Exemption certificate will be issued for a fee of $37.86 (FY2017), as approved by the Economic Regulator. The application of a fee for an Exemption will commence on 1 January 2017.

 An Exemption for CCW will relieve the Permit Authority for the need for subsequent Certificates of Compliance.

 TasWater has 14 calendar days for building and 10 calendar days for plumbing only to reply with any required conditions and advice. TasWater has 7 calendar days to request further information if required. Where further information is sought the ‘clock stops’ and the timeframe recommences when satisfactory additional information is received.

Connections to TasWater infrastructure

In the course of development, a new connection, upgrade or removal of a connection may be required to TasWater’s infrastructure. A Development Services application form for Water & Sewerage connections must be submitted. This form can be found here.

In most circumstances, a Planning Permit (including a Submission to Planning Authority Notice (SPAN)) or Certificate for Certifiable Work (Building) and/or (Plumbing) is required, that condition connection requirements.

Trade Waste

Developers applying for a Certificate for Certifiable Works (Building) and/or (Plumbing) should be aware of TasWater’s trade waste requirements.  These apply where the proposed development will result in a tenant, owner or occupier discharging sewage considered to be trade waste to sewer.

Developers applying for a Certificate for Certifiable Works (Building) and/or (Plumbing) should be aware of TasWater’s liquid trade waste requirements. These apply where the proposed development will result in a tenant, owner or occupier discharging sewage considered to be liquid trade waste to sewer.

The occupier of a property must make a trade waste application where the activity results in the generation of sewage from trade, industrial, commercial, institutional, medical, dental, veterinary, agricultural, horticultural or scientific research or experimental activities (or similar). Where the business occupier is not known the developer should be aware that trade waste requirements for tenants may include the installation of appropriate trade waste pre-treatment prior to the business operating.

Trade waste is not to be discharged to TasWater’s sewerage system without prior written consent of TasWater. Consent will be provided where the discharge to sewer aligns with TasWater’s stated aims and objectives in managing liquid trade waste and appropriate pre-treatment infrastructure is in place.

Certificate of Water and Sewerage Compliance (Building) and/or (Plumbing)

Under the Water and Sewerage Act 2008, the owner of a building or land may, after the completion of certifiable work in relation to the building or land, apply to TasWater for the issue of a Certificate of Water and Sewerage Compliance (Building) and/or (Plumbing) specifying that the conditions of the Certificate for Certifiable Work (Building) and/or (Plumbing) have been complied with and that the work has been completed substantially in accordance with the information or documents submitted. The Permit Authority (Council) cannot request the Certificate of Water and Sewerage Compliance without written consent from the owner/applicant. An application form for a Certificate of Water and Sewerage Compliance (Building) and/or (Plumbing) is required to be submitted.

The Permit Authority (council) must not issue a Certificate of Completion until the Certificate of Water and Sewerage Compliance has been issued by TasWater.